About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019); AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021); and HOW WE BECAME POST-LIBERAL: THE RISE AND FALL OF TOLERATION (2024).

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

It's finished!

Barring some twist that I can't imagine, I'm declaring my PhD thesis finished as of now. I gave it a final (hopefully) proofread tonight, so now I just need to print off copies of the final, final, ultimate version of this last draft, then get them bound, and get the appropriate forms signed so I can hand it in. It's going to be hard to let go of it after four years. There's always the thought that maybe there's some last improvement to make. But by this time next week I should have done everything that needs to be done ... and will just be awaiting the responses of the examiners.

It's too early to celebrate quite yet, but we're getting very close.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Well done Russell. Sounds like a hard slog, and you've done it twice! I don't think I could do it. Do you have to give a spoken presentation and be examined verbally? Or is that not applicable?

Coathangrrr said...

Congrats! Do you all do your oral defense post or prior the thesis proper?

Russell Blackford said...

The way it works here you don't have to defend it orally once you're beyond the first year - there's a seminar that you have to give, and then a follow-up session in which you sort of have to defend yourself, to be allowed to go on at that point. But there's nothing after submission of the thesis proper. Not that I'd mind: although it's nerve-wracking doing something like that, it's not as much so as trying to get the thesis into an absolutely rigorous form, and hoping it will be seen that way by examiners.

Well, as I'll be saying in a minute in a new post, the four copies are now with a bookbinder and I'll pick them up early next week. My principal supervisor has signed off ... and for better or worse it looks like it's really going to be submitted.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS RUSSELL !!

Tell us when you become Dr^2 Blackford.

Any plans for a third phd? ;P