About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019); AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021); and HOW WE BECAME POST-LIBERAL: THE RISE AND FALL OF TOLERATION (2024).

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Buy this book or your entire city will be destroyed by a monsoonal rain of giant frogs

I.e., this book.

A variety of prominent overseas authors have made significant contributions to the general public conversation on belief and religion, but Australians have been somewhat less heard.

The Australian Book of Atheism aims to change that, gathering together an impressive collection of essays from pre-eminent Australian atheist, rationalist, secular, humanist, and skeptic thinkers, many of whom participated in the 2010 Global Atheist Convention in Melbourne.


I'm delighted to have an essay in this book, edited by Warren Bonett and published by Scribe, and I'm confident that it'll be a great overall package. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy. The Australian Book of Atheism will make an excellent companion for your copy of 50 Voices of Disbelief: Why We Are Atheists.

Edit: Embiggen Books would be one good place to preorder this.

5 comments:

Brian said...

I note that I'm never asked to submit an essay for these collections of notable atheists. I wonder why? Is it because I'm not notable, not atheist enough? Too damn silly? I guess it's a mystery.

OT. looks good. I have to stop browsing the net, I keep wanting to buy more books....

Wowbagger said...

Any recommendations for places we're likely to find it? I'm only allowed into bookstores if I know that what I'm looking for is there; otherwise I'll spend more time and money than I've got to spare right now...

Russell Blackford said...

Okay, see my edit. Since the book is from Scribe, a good Australian publisher (though not a huge one) it should get solid distribution in quality bookshops throughout Australia.

Robert N Stephenson said...

I still think a decent book on performing magic would be better.

Or dare I say future social visions - but you can't get two agreeable people in one room on that.

Rupert said...

A monsoonal rain of giant frogs! - gee, thanks Russell, as if the cane toads and summer rains weren't enough up here!