About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019); AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021); and HOW WE BECAME POST-LIBERAL: THE RISE AND FALL OF TOLERATION (2024).

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

An apology (no, not from me) to Jerry Coyne

I was slow off the mark noticing this aspect of the debate, but I'm glad to see this apology from Jim P. Houston to Jerry Coyne. Let's avoid any anger or acrimony about it all here, if we can - I mainly just want to draw people's attention to it. It's obviously entirely up to Jerry how he responds to it, but FWIW I think it's a good outcome. It's a pity we don't see more apologies from people who have gone too far in their rhetoric.

1 comment:

NewEnglandBob said...

Not much of an apology when he says he is still right about everything. He also uses the argument from authority.